The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cleaning the MAF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43902)

manta 04-18-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 542229)
:confused:...known working MAF :confused: If you swaped it with a "known working maf" and it still didn't start ...... I am guessing that that "known working MAF" was NOT working:confused:

Thats right, I have 2 SVX'es. The other one ran fine only the transmision pooped.

CorSVXette 04-19-2008 02:54 AM

My question was, how can that be a "working" MAF when you put it in the car and it still didn't run? You say that the car it came from was running but when you put it in the other one it still didn't run. If the problem was the original MAF which you fixed by soldering the wires, then the one that you pulled from the "running" car stopped working also, correct?

kwren 04-19-2008 11:40 AM

Maybe a MAF...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 542730)
My question was, how can that be a "working" MAF when you put it in the car and it still didn't run? You say that the car it came from was running but when you put it in the other one it still didn't run. If the problem was the original MAF which you fixed by soldering the wires, then the one that you pulled from the "running" car stopped working also, correct?

Is not the problem...not the reason the car doesn't run?

Maybe the MAF has nothing to do with it not running.:confused:

CorSVXette 04-19-2008 12:29 PM

I don't know. I am totally confused. Maybe I am reading this thread wrong. First he said the car didn't run and they told him the MAF was no good, so he took a "good MAF" from a "running car" and it still didn't work, then he took the MAF off again and had the wires re-soldered and it is running like a charm. My confusion was, if the problem was the MAF, how come it didn't run when he put in the MAF from the "running car"? Was that MAF bad also?

kwren 04-19-2008 01:54 PM

sometimes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 542749)
I don't know. I am totally confused. Maybe I am reading this thread wrong. First he said the car didn't run and they told him the MAF was no good, so he took a "good MAF" from a "running car" and it still didn't work, then he took the MAF off again and had the wires re-soldered and it is running like a charm. My confusion was, if the problem was the MAF, how come it didn't run when he put in the MAF from the "running car"? Was that MAF bad also?

I wish we could just "re-boot" our mind :)
or maybe de-frag would be a better choice.:confused:

Take care,
Keith

manta 04-20-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 542758)
I wish we could just "re-boot" our mind :)
or maybe de-frag would be a better choice.:confused:

Take care,
Keith

I am sorry for being so vague, I will tell you the complete story.
I was going to buy a SVX here in Houston that would only run in first gear, (The motor ran great) so before I bought it I called a local transmission shop and asked if they could fix it. They said yes, so I bought it. after it was repaired it ran for two months, then back to the shop. They said it was internal and they would have to pull it again. they found some things were wrong with it, among one of the thing was that the pinion and ring gears had broken teeth, and they could not find a replacement for it. After three month of waiting and calling them about my car I told them if they can't find the part then buy a rebuilt one from ECUTune. I offered to pay more money. they did not go for that. They said they had put to much money in it already. :confused:After two month of waiting and calling I just brought it home.:mad:
I found another SVX in Detroit.....And now you know the rest of the story

manta 04-20-2008 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 542861)
I am sorry for being so vague, I will tell you the complete story.
I was going to buy a SVX here in Houston that would only run in first gear, (The motor ran great) so before I bought it I called a local transmission shop and asked if they could fix it. They said yes, so I bought it. after it was repaired it ran for two months, then back to the shop. They said it was internal and they would have to pull it again. they found some things were wrong with it, among one of the thing was that the pinion and ring gears had broken teeth, and they could not find a replacement for it. After three month of waiting and calling them about my car I told them if they can't find the part then buy a rebuilt one from ECUTune. I offered to pay more money. they did not go for that. They said they had put to much money in it already. :confused:After two month of waiting and calling I just brought it home.:mad:
I found another SVX in Detroit.....And now you know the rest of the story

The only way the MAF from the first SVX would have gone bad would be by just sitting there to long not being used. I won't know untill I get the transmission fixed and running again.