The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels / Tires (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   The perfect SVX wheels (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21562)

SVX10 09-25-2004 12:07 AM

The perfect SVX wheels

The perfect ones in my opinion, anyway. I just figure out tonight how to cut and paste in my computer's non-photoshop image program. So, I gave it a try. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Anyway...I think they look awesome!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVX10/20910.jpg

18" Porsche Boxster S wheels. Not only do they look good, but they should be about as large as possible. Front are 18x8 with 225/40 tires...perfect fit for the SVX. Rear are 18x9 (I believe) with a 265/35 tire. A little large for the SVX, probably have to downgrade to 255/40?? I didn't do the math on the overall diameter. But, the nice thing...50mm offset. Very close to stock. If they would indeed squeeze in there, I think they fit the car perfectly.

-Mat

MaG18 09-25-2004 12:13 AM

sexy and almost like the stock rim in a way

SVX10 09-25-2004 12:15 AM

yeaaaaaaaa...sexy is definitely a good word for it

FlagstaffSVX 09-25-2004 12:32 AM

Those wheels are PERFECT.

Now, my only question is if it's a problem since the rear ones are wider than the fronts. If so, you could always just go with a pair of fronts or a pair of rears, right?

WHERE CAN I GET THESE WHEELS???!!! :D

svxcess 09-25-2004 01:02 AM

I always thought the Enkei Shogun wheel was a great style, although it is no longer available. The addition of a custom center cap (right) only enhances the sleek design for our cars. I fabricated a set out of aluminum and epoxied 5 rare earth magnets to the back that would latch onto the surface of each steel lug nut.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...=&postid=20780

FlagstaffSVX 09-25-2004 02:44 AM

The cap definately helps the Shoguns but now that I've seen the Porsche wheels, I believe the Shoguns are too "angular" and "sharp" relative to the Boxster wheels.

I'll start looking for sources when I get back from my weekend trip.

nextse7en 09-25-2004 03:01 AM

Found this link for what looks like these rims -

17"s list at $913.17 For a set of four - looks like shipping from the UK though.

18"s list at $1088.85
http://www.design911.co.uk/index.htm?Region=US

Someone tell me this pattern just slips right over our lugs.

wawazat?? 09-25-2004 06:21 AM

Wrong BCP (bolt center pattern).

Todd

SVXMAN2001 09-25-2004 06:37 AM

i posted about this a w hile ago, i agree also that those wheels are perfect, however like todd said they don't fit properly. how unfortunate.......

joe2rule 09-25-2004 07:40 AM

Those are definitley HOT! But I am much more curious about those bad ass break calipurs.

Can anyone recommend where I can find those?

http://www.josephjthomas.com/pics/SVX/SubaruWheels.jpg

UPDATE: Recently installed slotted and drilled zinc platted rotors (all four)

SVX10 09-25-2004 10:32 AM

haha...yea...sorry. Can't believe I forgot to post that minor detail. I was so enamoured with how they look that I forgot they would require a custom hub. Man, I feel like a jerk now...gettin' FlagstaffSVX all pumped up and we can't even use them. Sorry dude :( But, Collin and I took his hub off, and it looks as though with one single custom plate, a shop with press fitting capability could pretty easily make a custom hub. Yea?? No?? Todd...you have any idea. You've got a friend with a machine shop...how difficult would the custom bolt circle be?

-Mat

wawazat?? 09-26-2004 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX10
But, Collin and I took his hub off, and it looks as though with one single custom plate, a shop with press fitting capability could pretty easily make a custom hub. Yea?? No?? Todd...you have any idea. You've got a friend with a machine shop...how difficult would the custom bolt circle be?

-Mat

Custom hub may be do-able Mat. You would also need a custom re-drilled rotor. I'm not sure what the Porsche BCP is (5x120mm?). You would need to look at the hub to determine if there is a enough real estate there to modify them. Also, don't forget centerbore diameter.

Todd

Chiketkd 09-26-2004 08:16 PM

Re: The perfect SVX wheels

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX10
18" Porsche Boxster S wheels. Not only do they look good, but they should be about as large as possible. Front are 18x8 with 225/40 tires...perfect fit for the SVX. Rear are 18x9 (I believe) with a 265/35 tire. A little large for the SVX, probably have to downgrade to 255/40?? I didn't do the math on the overall diameter. But, the nice thing...50mm offset. Very close to stock. If they would indeed squeeze in there, I think they fit the car perfectly.

-Mat

Mat,

You have great taste. However, my suggestion is this - use four front wheels on the SVX, unless you have a fwd SVX. The awd mechanism won't like the different size wheels front to rear and it'll eventually cause your transfer clutch to be ruined.

18x8 front wheels will allow you to run 245 sized tires if you want.

-Chike

NikFu S. 09-26-2004 08:33 PM

I don't like them.

BordeauxComet 09-26-2004 10:50 PM

I do!!!

You're right, those look perfect. If someone could get some custom hubs made that would be awesome!

Having a FWD SVX, I'd put the wider wheels up front...

NeedForSpeed 09-26-2004 11:06 PM

Porsche wheels

Mat,

Nice picture!

I have always thought the Porsche wheels were the most compatible with stock SVX wheels. I don't believe they are directional though, and if not, spokes go forward on one side and backward on the other. Subaru paid close attention to the details, giving SVX right and left wheels.

Motorsport-SVX 09-27-2004 12:10 AM

I had a set lined up

and may still even try a set one day...
most porsches come with 18x8 and 18x11s..
I just need a set of 18x8 all around.
I have custom billet adaptors already lined up
those will have to have 12mmx1.5 studs to accomodate
the correct Porsche lug nuts too.
Lot of work and $ for different rims

SubySVX 09-27-2004 10:18 AM

Those wheels are sick looking. Plus you get the nice Porsche emblem on the center cap! :D I'd be interested in purchasing some of those custom hubs if they were ever produced.

NapaBavarian 09-27-2004 10:28 AM

How does the backspacing compare with stock wheels? Would it be possible to use spacers/adaptors?

Motorsport-SVX 09-27-2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NapaBavarian
How does the backspacing compare with stock wheels? Would it be possible to use spacers/adaptors?
It would work
stock offsets around +50 - +55 mm
so a 10mm spacer would still work fine

Matthewmongan 09-27-2004 12:26 PM

if your replacing the hub why not a brake wheel conversion. those brakes are huge they can do it for a fiero why not the svx?

Earthworm 09-28-2004 04:25 PM

Too bad you WILL always have 2 wheels on "backwards". :p

ensteele 09-28-2004 04:37 PM

I have always been in love with the shoguns! :(

SVX10 09-28-2004 05:02 PM

Yo

Hey...sorry for the absence. I was driving home to NM from MI. Anyway, the brake conversion would be awesome, but then there's the issue of getting brackets made to adapt to the stock mounting points...probably not too diffiuclt, but who knows. I would GUESS that there are rotors out there that could be used without any custom modifiction. Maybe once I get settled and (hopefully) have a daily different daily driver then I can dig in and look at this more carefully. Maybe we coud do it at your shop, Dayle ;) Maybe soembody could dig up 4 right side fronts so it'd be a full set of 18x8 directionals. lol...that'd be a nightmare, I think!

Edit:
Would this open up doors for better bearings as well?

Landshark 09-28-2004 06:27 PM

n00bs! i had others Photochop those on for me before i had mad Photochop skilz! :D
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...0&pagenumber=1

those are found on Boxster S's, but they are originally from the 911 Turbo. the spokes are hollow, and they cost a frickin' mint.

you can get replicas by Mille Miglia (Cup3's). i can't find any info on other lug sizes, but they may make them in other-than-Porsche size.
http://www.megaperformance.com/catal...528/497352.htm

i paid about $1000 for all four replicas that i had.

NeedForSpeed 09-28-2004 07:28 PM

Hey!

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
Too bad you WILL always have 2 wheels on "backwards". :p
I already mentioned that!!

If Subaru could make directional wheels, why can't Porsche? If Porsche mounts directional tires, the wheels can't be rotated anyway.

NapaBavarian 09-28-2004 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

It would work
stock offsets around +50 - +55 mm
so a 10mm spacer would still work fine

Can a bolt pattern changing spacer be made from 10mm? I thought in order to safely thread lugs into a spacer it would need to be at least 15mm, mine are 25mm, but don't change the lug pattern.

Motorsport-SVX 09-28-2004 11:32 PM

one way or another

Im pretty sure I could get the adaptors made correctly
and safely...and keep the wheel inside the wheelwell.
As far as no lefts or rights, I could easily live with that.
It doesnt bug me, they look like they could run either
way....think Porsche did that on purpose :D

SVX10 09-29-2004 12:07 AM

One of the things I liked about them was how close they were to stock offset. Putting spacers in there would just mess all that up. I guess it's waaaay easier than custom hubs, though. But, seriously, if a custom hub were to be made, what would prevent the use of new bearings? I suppose then we'd be looking at a custom knuckle, too, with the proper bore for whatever bearing the Boxster uses???

FlagstaffSVX 09-29-2004 03:00 AM

Hmm... so with this spacer, would I be able to keep my cool new dimpled rotors?

BordeauxComet 09-29-2004 01:30 PM

OZ Volcano

You know, these look pretty similar to the Boxster wheels. They don't have the curve but they're still pretty close.
http://www.ozracing.com/usa/shop/wheels/9_big.jpg
I don't think OZ makes them anymore, but you could probably pick up some used ones fairly cheap.
-Nathan

SVX10 09-29-2004 04:25 PM

Yea...I like those too! They look almost identical to these, and these look great on the SVX!!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/svx-motorsp..._1808_19067666

svxboy 09-30-2004 09:48 PM

Tires/wheels combo

The largest size tire you could run on 18" rims with the correct overall diameter is P245/35R18. Unless the inner and outer fenders are modifed and offsets changed, this would be the one to go with.

Greg

FlagstaffSVX 10-11-2004 03:17 AM

So Dayle, would your 6 piston calipers fit underneath those Porsche wheels?

Motorsport-SVX 10-11-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
So Dayle, would your 6 piston calipers fit underneath those Porsche wheels?
they are designed to fit around large sewing machine cars
brakes, so I bet they would

FlagstaffSVX 02-22-2005 09:27 AM

I'm assuming those toskawnas didn't go through for you since you needed to buy 25 sets and there was hardly any interest.

How much are we really talking about to get the real deal done, or should I just aim for some similar rims because they're 1/4th the price... :D

Motorsport-SVX 02-22-2005 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
I'm assuming those toskawnas didn't go through for you since you needed to buy 25 sets and there was hardly any interest.

How much are we really talking about to get the real deal done, or should I just aim for some similar rims because they're 1/4th the price... :D

Havent found much similar, wish we could get more interest
in the other wheels, but no biggy.

SilverSpear 02-22-2005 11:49 PM

Does the Porsche Rims fit our SVX? I mean the bolt pattern?

wawazat?? 02-23-2005 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SilverSpear
Does the Porsche Rims fit our SVX? I mean the bolt pattern?
No they don't Danny.

Todd

SilverSpear 02-23-2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

No they don't Danny.

Todd

Is the Bolt pattern very different? because mine are for Mercedes Benz, I regrinded them, manufacture rings for them and they fitted the car like a charm... really !