Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > 25th Anniversary Meet (2017) > 10th Anniversary Meet
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Radio Frequency...CB channel??

I suggest we set up a common FRS (Family radio service -- Motorola talkabout type radios) frequency and CB channel for the meet so that those of us who are driving can keep in touch and find each other, etc....

Any suggestions? Do all the brands of FRS radios use the same frequencies? I think so, but I don't have one so I'm not sure...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 04-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
I think that would be a great idea...that way we can stay connected on the drives and such.

No idea if the different brands/models will share the same frequencies though

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 04-19-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Some do, some don't.. I ref at the local paintball field, and they bought a few radios once the big bulky ones they once had finally went south.. They didn't communicate with the bigger ones, but they did work with other radios.. The ones that worked together used different channels (8 on one set, 13 on another)..
Old 04-19-2002, 06:27 PM

FRS Radios (family radio service) all use the same channels/frequencies. There is a service band called GMRS (general mobile radio service) which is in the same frequency range, but incorporates larger, more powerful radios that have a longer range. You're supposed to have a license for those. If you buy a handheld radio that says it's an FRS radio, you should be able to communicate with any other brand of FRS radio, on the same channel. However, some of the more expensive radios do use a PL tone (subaudible) that can be programmed, to eliminate unwanted noise or radio traffic. If someone has their PL tone turned on, they won't be able to hear other radios unless they have the same PL tone enabled. It's promoted as a 'privacy manager', or some variation of that.

I've got a CB, and FRS radios, so I'll be hooked up on whatever channels we decide. I don't normally have the CB in the car, but like to have it for road trips.

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Administrator

That's kinda what I thought...So is there a good channel we can choose and possibly a PL tone too? Does anyone here else have these kind of radios? It'd be good to figure out a compatible channel and pl tone that we can all use. I have a ham rig that will work on these bands with the PL tone so I am set.

I know they sell the FRS radios pretty cheap sometimes. Might be a required item for the meet Help keep us together on the tour, etc...

Quote:
Originally posted by richeich
FRS Radios (family radio service) all use the same channels/frequencies. There is a service band called GMRS (general mobile radio service) which is in the same frequency range, but incorporates larger, more powerful radios that have a longer range. You're supposed to have a license for those. If you buy a handheld radio that says it's an FRS radio, you should be able to communicate with any other brand of FRS radio, on the same channel. However, some of the more expensive radios do use a PL tone (subaudible) that can be programmed, to eliminate unwanted noise or radio traffic. If someone has their PL tone turned on, they won't be able to hear other radios unless they have the same PL tone enabled. It's promoted as a 'privacy manager', or some variation of that.

Quote:
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan, Glacier White, 5 spd.

Mods- Borla Headers, straight mid-pipe with Magnaflow Muffler, Weapon R Intake System (blue), Amsoil synthetics throughout, SPT short shift kit, OMP F1 style pedals, H&R Springs, STi V5 struts, 17x7.5 SSR Competition Wheels, Sumitomo HTRZ II 215/45-17 tires, Cusco front strut tower bar, SPO Motorsports 3-way adjustable rear sway bar kit (19-20-21mm), Hella Yellow Star 85w lamps in factory fogs, Hella 500 driving lights with 100w lamps. Eclipse CD-3421 Stereo.

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Wow... you've been busy, eh?

Old 04-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Green1995SVX

We've always used the FRS's at cavalier functions. A great thing. Something that we need to do.

-Mike (Cav boy)
Old 04-19-2002, 09:58 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Sounds like a great idea...

just let all us CB/Ham/etc rookies know what we should get ahead of time.

--Michelle

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 04-20-2002, 02:00 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I have GMRS on my hands. I have yet to find a way to test them with FRS. In theory, they should work. I am also thinking of getting a CB as well.

keep me posted
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Info site

Lookey here. quite a bit of info on FRS/CB radios. Not organized the best...but take a look. Has some reviews of radios and stuff.

http://members.tripod.com/~jwilkers/frspage.html

Old 04-20-2002, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Wow... you've been busy, eh?
Yep, I've definitely had fun with this car. I keep telling myself to stop, but it hasn't worked yet.

Quote:
So is there a good channel we can choose and possibly a PL tone too?
We should just use channel 10, since it's the 10th Anniversary Meet. I'd be willing to buy a radio that has the PL function, but I don't have one now. The cheaper units don't come with that option, which is what I have. I'd be a little worried about excluding someone that didn't have the PL function. They could still hear us, but we couldn't hear them. Although, the prices have come down, and the interference can be a nuisance on those things in populated areas, so I would think that anyone willing to travel to something like this could maybe be willing to spring for a radio. They really do come in handy, especially when shopping with the wife (ugh!).

About the CB's, I normally have it on channel 19 while I'm traveling (lookin' out fer dem Bears!), so if I see an SVX, I'll give a yell on there first. I suppose during the meet weekend, we could all hang out on channel 10 as well. Trying to keep it simple here, so I don't clutter my brain up and get confused!

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-20-2002, 08:11 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
Rich, you have any pictures of that thing? If so post them in your locker! I wanna see it, sounds awesome.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 04-20-2002, 08:19 PM
Administrator

We would probably be better to go without the tone I suppose, since a few people here probably have radios already. Lafayette is not a huge town, so I'd guess that the interference problems won't be huge there.

I did a little shopping around and found sets of 2 radios ranging from $50 and up with a few even cheaper than that. Here's a shop that has a few cheapies (factory refurbished):

http://www.stores.ebay.com/hitechwir...pt9/index.html

Though those models had spotty reviews on the other site: http://members.tripod.com/~jwilkers/frspage.html
though some people said the were good too so ??

Old 04-21-2002, 08:42 PM

Thumbs up

Okay Scott, I finally put some pictures in my locker. The first one with the SSR Competition wheels is the most current picture, although I've recently taken the SCCA decal off. The autocross pictures are from last fall, with the white Team Dynamics Monza wheels. Take a look!

'02 Toyota MR2 Spyder

(Previous '93 SVX Owner)
Old 04-22-2002, 06:37 AM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
That thing is awesome! How did you do in those races? You better have beat that Honda. Know any currents specs on it (i.e HP, torque...etc)?
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 04-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Green1995SVX

Thumbs up

Rich, all i Have to say is:

WOW!

-Mike