SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2004, 01:11 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Talking Homeschooler SVX racer

OK, so I've been lurking for a long while- made a few comments here and there. This is a great site with a lot of great interaction!!

Several of you have expressed an interest in what we are doing so I thought this would be the best place to post a bit of an online journal of our project.

I am working with a group of homeschoolers in south Georgia on a project SVX. We are preparing it to run in the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 Challenge in Gainesville FL in April.

The race is a combination of three events- drag strip, autocross, and concourse judging for appearance. The one limiting factor is that you can't spend more than $2004 on the car- including purchase price and all modifications.

Our car is a '92 LSL dragged from a field of weeds and saved from a dealer in Alabama getting ready to crush it. It is going through extensive mods to prepare it for the competition, some of which would probably rub SVX afficienados the wrong way. We still think they beat the crusher.

When we are done, it will be a track only car. It will have extensive weight reduction, most of it's luxury features gone, suspension mods, race interior, race exterior appearance, underdrive, air intake mods, and run on nitrous.

Our goal is a top 3 finish in the autocross, a top 5 finish in the concourse, and a top 15 finish at the drags for a top 10 finish overall.

We are using it as an educational opportunity for a group of a dozen or so homeschooled students. Most of the work is being done by students.

This project has made me a bit of an SVX fan myself. I am now driving a '95 AWD and loving it! This one is being treated with more respect. I am hoping to later incorporate much of what I learn from the race into my street ride!!

Several members of this forum have already participated and been a great help.

We call ourselves Team HomesCool, and our car is the SVXtra.

I'll get some pics out here as well as continue to update.

Keep cruisin!

-Paul