Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Wheels / Tires
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Wheels that fit the SVX

That's interesting you mention heavy Blacky.

I was about to suggest to Danny that taking rims from another vehicle might be a problem if the vehicle is a 2 plus tonnes behemoth. Or am I mistaking what a QX 45 is?

In my experience these large jeep like vehicles tend to have agricultural size wheels that are way too heavy for smaller lighter vehicles.

My rule of thumb for changing wheel size is to ensure that the new tyre/wheel combo is the same weight as or if possible lighter than the factory set up. The original spring damper rates are set up to cope with controlling the movement of that weight wheel. If you go up in weight without changing the spring/damper equation, then the new wheels will be too heavy for effective control.

Braking and handling will be adversely affected.

If you can't ensure the same weight or lighter, then don't change just for the style, you will affect the car's driving ability.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Joe,

I have chosen the 18" rim of the QX rather than the 20" one. Assuming that 18" is of similar weight as the Murano's, don't you think it forms a good candidate for the SVX?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Joe,

I have chosen the 18" rim of the QX rather than the 20" one. Assuming that 18" is of similar weight as the Murano's, don't you think it forms a good candidate for the SVX?
If I'm not mistaken Danny the 18" Murano wheel/tyre combination is a good percentage heavier than the stock 16" SVX combo.

What I'm getting at here, using wheels from a larger vehicle it's almost guaranteed the combination will be heavier than the stock SVX with corresponding reduced performance potential because the spring damper rates are not able for the heavier wheel.

You can bet that the Murano or QX suspensions are set up to cope with the heaviest wheel type offered as option. This could even be a steel wheel and hubcap for some chassis, depending the use the vehicle gets put to. If they then decide to offer what are called light alloy wheels, or 20" bling rims for the boulevard, in theory these will be lighter than the standard fitment within the suspension setup and the braking and handling will thus improve on those wagons so fitted.

So the answer to your question is, if the 18" Murano or QX combo is lighter than or the same weight as the standard 16" SVX wheel, it will work fine. If as I suspect they are heavier by 2-4 lbs per corner, you will be disimproving braking and handling.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Joe, I completely agree with you, I know that the Murano and FX wheels are heavier than the SVX's 16. And I completely agree that braking efficiency becomes lower with a heavier rim. I was just pointing out that the looks of the FX 18" might be better than that of the Murano's assuming they have both the same weight (FX and Murano).

Anyways, to my taste again I say that a rim with lip will look awesome on any car, especially the SVX. Check the difference between the 350z with OEM Track rims and a very similar rim with Angelina Jolie lip.

OEM Track 350z

AKITAA Rim

Please note, that the AKITAA rim lip is the maximum I would see as reasonable to install on a car. Beyond that it becomes Botox lip

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Danny, we are in agreement here for once. I'm a big fan of all kinds of lips, and from a styling standpoint for me anyway a car looks "faster" with rims that have a lip.

But just to expand on my reservations about changing rims for looks reasons alone I'll add this:

our SVXes have an unusual offset and a not too common lug pattern so the difficulty for those that want a change of appearance is in finding anything aftermarket that will actually fit and work.

If you pick a rim of the correct configuration already in use then you have a reasonable possibility of getting a decent wheel that will fit without fouling.

If this rim that is already in use comes from a huge wagon or off-road vehicle, I contend it is unlikely this rim will be lighter than or as light as the standard SVX wheel. It will have been designed for durability rather than racing.

If however this rim is already in use on a sportscar, the Mazda RX7 and RX8 come to mind, then in this instance the wheel will/may be designed to keep unsprung weight low, and may prove to be lighter than the SVX rim even though bigger diameter.

That's my case, pure and simple. Restrict your choice of style to wheels that come from sports cars, and leave the wagons to the pinstripe wellie brigade.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Cool Joe, point well made. To open up more possibilities, the 350z/G35 rims do fit on the SVX. At least one SVX member (cannot remember who) fitted 17" 350z rims on car. The track rims I showed you pics above, are 18" and forged/lightweight.

And Joe, I have always agreed with you on car related modifications, until you decided to abruptly disagree with me on... everything

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Danny, we are in agreement here for once. I'm a big fan of all kinds of lips, and from a styling standpoint for me anyway a car looks "faster" with rims that have a lip.

But just to expand on my reservations about changing rims for looks reasons alone I'll add this:

our SVXes have an unusual offset and a not too common lug pattern so the difficulty for those that want a change of appearance is in finding anything aftermarket that will actually fit and work.

If you pick a rim of the correct configuration already in use then you have a reasonable possibility of getting a decent wheel that will fit without fouling.

If this rim that is already in use comes from a huge wagon or off-road vehicle, I contend it is unlikely this rim will be lighter than or as light as the standard SVX wheel. It will have been designed for durability rather than racing.

If however this rim is already in use on a sportscar, the Mazda RX7 and RX8 come to mind, then in this instance the wheel will/may be designed to keep unsprung weight low, and may prove to be lighter than the SVX rim even though bigger diameter.

That's my case, pure and simple. Restrict your choice of style to wheels that come from sports cars, and leave the wagons to the pinstripe wellie brigade.

Joe
I know the offset is higher then most cars I have seen, but the lug pattern seems to be very common. 5 x 114.3.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

I wanted to share this a long time ago. Here is something interesting about wheel weights. Shame the bolt pattern is not listed (it is also not complete)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Wheel Weights.zip (597.0 KB, 547 views)

Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
I wanted to share this a long time ago. Here is something interesting about wheel weights. Shame the bolt pattern is not listed (it is also not complete)
Great lists Danny. Thanks.

Subaru Legacy Spec B '06, 18 lbs. The search is over.

And I don't disagree with you on everything Dan. Just noses and bodywork.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
I know the offset is higher then most cars I have seen, but the lug pattern seems to be very common. 5 x 114.3.
I would not disagree with that. The offset is what makes our cars stand out. Or the wheels stand in.

5x114.3 is not too uncommon as you say, but over here the aftermarket wheel industry is geared for tarting up smaller cars, so the replacement wheel industry commonly carriers lug patterns to suit Toyota Starlets and Peugeot 206s and all sorts of rubbish.

This can mean with a 5 stud wheel that the only way you can get it is with dual lug pattern, 10 holes, so it suits more vehicles. On principle alone I would not fit such a wheel to my car. It looks naff. It looks aftermarket. Not for me thank you.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2010, 03:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Great lists Danny. Thanks.

Subaru Legacy Spec B '06, 18 lbs. The search is over.

And I don't disagree with you on everything Dan. Just noses and bodywork.

Joe
Wish the Legacy Spec B rim was a little wider. But 7 is too thin.

I am looking for something between 8.5 and 9 following the offset. What is good in my book in terms of weight, looks and dimensions are:

1- Volk RE30 Forged (18x8.5) 17.0 lbs
2- OZ Forgiata Forged (18x8.5) 16.5 lbs
3- BBS RE-Mg Forged Mg (18x8.5) 15.4 lbs

Of course there are other models which are also sweet in design, but I have chosen the lightest there is (the Volk is 3lbs lighter than the OEM Mazda RX8 rim). But do not ask about prices

I am druiling (a new word Joe, with ui instead ) over the Volk RE30. Wish someone can photoshop it on MY SVX.

Here is the rest of the list, with PICTURES

Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Druiling, eh?

You been reading some of my sarcastic posts Danny?

I can't agree with your Volk choice for reason stated above, it has 10 stud holes. If you are going to spend a small fortune upgrading a car please don't put wheels on it that look like they came from the local tuning shop or off another car.

The SVX deserves wheels that look like they were designed for the SVX, not for the SVX and A N Other.

The other two I like a lot, they would be very good.

My choices from the pictures [thanks again for the link BTW] would be:

Advan Racing RS Cast18x9 @17.7 lbs
Dymag Mg/CF 18x9 @14 lbs
Fikse FM10 18x8.5 @18 lbs
RS Watanabe Cyclone Forged Mg 18x9 @16.1 lbs
Volk TE 37 Forged Mg 18x8.5 @16.1 lbs.

What have all these got in common, aside from being sorta light?

5 holes.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
My choices from the pictures [thanks again for the link BTW] would be:

Advan Racing RS Cast18x9 @17.7 lbs
Dymag Mg/CF 18x9 @14 lbs
Fikse FM10 18x8.5 @18 lbs
RS Watanabe Cyclone Forged Mg 18x9 @16.1 lbs
Volk TE 37 Forged Mg 18x8.5 @16.1 lbs.

What have all these got in common, aside from being sorta light?

5 holes.

Joe
Joe, nice choices, but what do you mean by 5 holes? is it the bolt holes? Because if you are talking about the holes within the bars of the rims, then I think you got yourself mixed up a little bit. Especially the first two rims. The description is always for the rim below.

I love Advan a lot, but they cost around $5k this is why I didn't chose them. The others except Volk, are rare rims, just in case I damage one, I will have a hard time finding a replacement.

Volk, OZ and BBS are common, and can be bought USED at a somehow reasonable price.

Please can you explain what do you mean by 5holes? because the first two have at least 8 rim holes in them.

Dan

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Joe, nice choices, but what do you mean by 5 holes? is it the bolt holes? Because if you are talking about the holes within the bars of the rims, then I think you got yourself mixed up a little bit. Especially the first two rims. The description is always for the rim below.

I love Advan a lot, but they cost around $5k this is why I didn't chose them. The others except Volk, are rare rims, just in case I damage one, I will have a hard time finding a replacement.

Volk, OZ and BBS are common, and can be bought USED at a somehow reasonable price.

Please can you explain what do you mean by 5holes? because the first two have at least 8 rim holes in them.

Dan
It's just me being snobby Danny.

When I say 5 holes I mean the 5 stud holes or bolt holes.

If you compare your RE 30 rim with the TE 37 rim I selected, you will see that in the TE series there are only five holes at 114.3 centres for bolting the wheels to the hub.

In the case of the RE rim it has 10 holes. 5 of them are at 114.3 centres, and I would guess that the other 5 are possibly at 5 x 100 or some other fitment.

The RE 30 wheel looks absolutely beautiful, but I would not use it because it is dual fitment.

Snobby, like it told you.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Oh ok, gotcha!

But I still need someone to photoshop all these rims on my own SVX, you know... I have a bodykit and without the right wheel, the car would like as ugly as it looks now (see I always agree with you )

Hmmm... Farang!

Last edited by SilverSpear; 02-16-2010 at 09:44 AM.