Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A > Chris's SVX Shop
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Scottsubarus

OK, gave the A/C a try this afternoon. Its sunny, but only about 60degrees, so not a real good test for coolness.

A/C compressor comes on.........and says engaged. Let it run for 5-7 minutes and it never cycled once. Cool......but far from cold air out a.c. ducts in the car.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Any updates?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Scottsubarus

just a little more info........

Son had time to check pressures etc. Low side pressure was high.........and high side was low. He had to leave again for 2 weeks N.G. Training....but told me to get a new reciever/dryer for him to put on and try next. Its an inexpensive thing to do, so why not. He's going to be gone through april 14th.

BTW, he had car hooked up to scanner and it showed all electronic systems of a.c. system to be working normally.

Last edited by scottsubarus; 04-07-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:30 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Replacing the dryer should do the trick. If the high side is low pressure then you have an obstruction in the system, usually it's in the dryer filter. Good luck!

Last edited by dannmarr; 04-07-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Scottsubarus

I will still keep thread posted on outcome. Since the car is Black, I really don't want to drive it this summer without the a/c. Its kind of the family spare car so I like to keep everything working......and it helps when your son is a Subaru Technician to boot. (helpful when you own an SVX)
Old 05-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Scottsubarus

A/C update.......

Finally had time to part with car to have reciever/dryer installed....with no luck still. Line from compressor got cold.....for a minute then got warm.

whats next to try??? expansion valve???

from sight glass it appears that the coolent is flowing freely through the system....like an open thermostat on a cooling system.

ideas??
Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Seems like it's overcharged.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Scottsubarus

Well A/C never was overly cold when we got the car. Then it went to cooling sometimes, then blow warm. Thought it might just be low on R12 I decided to just have the 134A retrofit done. Son...didn't have time, so had our company mechanic do it (has done dozens before) system took R134A fine, but never did try and blow cold even as it was being added. Thought it might be the thermal switch in the evap case, son bypassed it, and still didn't work. So the reciever/dryer was next on the list to try.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr
If you have no cold air, it is either;
1) Low charge (unable to absorb enough heat to condition air)
2) Condensor coil is dirty (unable to release any heat to the outside)
3) compressor not working (refrigerant is not flowing to carry heat to the condensor)

what about the more ovious? like a the door motor not working... or one of the various sensors... maybe you should try to pull codes from you climate control before riping the dash apart or replacing other expencive A/C parts
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 05-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Scottsubarus

Well the lines from the compressor should get cold......and they don't

Have a spare climate control head. Am trying that today.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsubarus
Well the lines from the compressor should get cold......and they don't.
As a fully qualified idiot, I would have thought that the compressor makes the gas hotter, and that it only gets cooler in the expansion unit inside the car.

But, of course, I am only a fully qualified idiot, and am thereby automatically wrong, by definition

Last edited by ItsPeteReally; 05-18-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Lines before the compressor is low temp/low pressure. After the compressor going towards the condensor is high temp/ high pressure. Are you sure your son checked the correct sides for pressure? The low side should not have high pressure. The compressor causes high pressure/high temp and that is found on the high side.

Last edited by dannmarr; 05-18-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 PM
Scottsubarus

well I was at the dealership with pressure gages attached (from a a/c machine) Scanner attached and running checking all electrical functions....all seemed to show normal. Yet no cold air.

Jim...my son reads these posts. will have to ask him to detail what is going on in his words, and let him provide details. It sure is a mystery.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Scottsubarus

Update.
Different control head in dash didn't make a difference at all. Only codes that come up is an intermittant evaperator sensor probe. (That was even bypassed once just to rule out)

With scanner hooked, all electrical sensors in system etc working normally. Pressures in system withing normal range.

Refrigerant temp though shows to be 150 deg ??? At times, the low side hose will start to feel cold right before a larger section in the hose (muffler?) then will get hot to the touch.

Compressor woking fine.

anyone else???
Old 05-21-2006, 07:42 AM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
Can you post a photo with arrows showing what hoses you are referring to and a list of the symptoms again? It seems you have lost me. According to the law of Thermodynamics, heat travels from hot to cold. So the refrigerant needs to heat up more than the outside temperature in order to expel the heat to the outside.