Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Just watch Harry "school" all of us with his Guru-like driving skills and well-understood suspension set up
+1 Harry Newman FTW!!!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Pot calling the kettle black? I'm driving my car there thank you very much! If it doesn't hit anything you're not low enough yet!
RaceCar reference, Ben I'm looking forward to seeing how you can move the XT around on the course

Well, we just cut slots in the wheel well liners, so if the tires hit them they should just "flex"(i.e, yeah, lower is better)...there will definitely be more "fine tuning" along the way (DA Konis w/coil overs being a winter project ). Damn, but the stock tire look small now

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 09-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
yeah Ben bring it along... I should be able to fit it

Tom
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
I'm with Ben wrt raw vs PAX time....

Looks like we're going to have an interesting time with so many of us driving on "new tires" for the first time Just watch Harry "school" all of us with his Guru-like driving skills and well-understood suspension set up

-Bill
Yea, right! After seeing photos of those tires (they are huge!!), I am a bit scared to show!!, but then again, I'll be the only "stock" one there. BTW, i replaced my drilled and slotted rotors with the stock ones tonight.

BTW, Chike, regarding tire size and staying legal, I believe you were correct - you can run a 10 % over size (on the tire) as long as it fits on a stock configured rim (same size, diameter and width rim). I don't think what "other" cars use as stock has any bearing whatever on a car's legality and what they can run. So if you car came with 16 " rims, you could not run 17 " rims - and stay in the stock class.

Looking forward to Sat, but I will have to leave early for an "evening" engagement Sat night.
Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 09-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
BTW, Guys,
Attached was the Red Baron at play at Summit Point Raceway on June 30 - the reason I was not at Cumberland. I used up a new set of pads on the front on the 2 mile 17 turn course...... But was it FUN!!
Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Summit, June 2006.jpg (376.0 KB, 379 views)
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

Just one day to the...

....SUBARU CHALLENGE!!!!!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM

No course map in advance...

This is what one of the event organizers said in reponse to my question on NASIOC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve94
No, sorry... we'll be dropping the course the morning of the event. Last year's map ended up not being accurate anyway due to changes for safety purposes. So... we'll have learn the course the old fashioned way... MEMORIZATION!!

For our regular events at FedEx, we drop the course the day before, test it for safety and such, and have someone with a GPS "map" it. That's how we have course maps ready for the event. For this event, we don't have the luxury of pre-dropping the course the day before....

Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsvx
BTW, Chike, regarding tire size and staying legal, I believe you were correct - you can run a 10 % over size (on the tire) as long as it fits on a stock configured rim (same size, diameter and width rim). I don't think what "other" cars use as stock has any bearing whatever on a car's legality and what they can run. So if you car came with 16 " rims, you could not run 17 " rims - and stay in the stock class.
That's what I understand as well Harry. I know the knew n/a Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky which are in C-Stock, are able to stuff 285 sized rubber on their 18x8" wheels (stock size is 245) - and there's definitely NO car in C-stock that comes from the factory with 285 sized rubber.

Old 09-15-2006, 02:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Verve is Evanthe...

"Battlestar" is done....Ben was right, the rear wheel wells were a pain (double wall construction), but taking out the liner made things easier (that, and having a heavy duty cut off wheel, a body saw, a plasma cutter, a multi-ton shear, a multi-ton break, and a MIG welder ). The flares are still a little rough, as they are "all metal" in design with just a little fiber Bondo that I used to smooth some of the edges. All this done in ~12 hours spread over two days...I'm beat!

We're leaving down here at 6:00, so I'm hoping to be at Ripken by 7:15

-Bill
p.s. oh, yeah....I hope to post pics later tonight

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 09-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Chike,
Verve is Evanthe...

"Battlestar" is done....Ben was right, the rear wheel wells were a pain (double wall construction), but taking out the liner made things easier (that, and having a heavy duty cut off wheel, a body saw, a plasma cutter, a multi-ton shear, a multi-ton break, and a MIG welder ). The flares are still a little rough, as they are "all metal" in design with just a little fiber Bondo that I used to smooth some of the edges. All this done in ~12 hours spread over two days...I'm beat!

We're leaving down here at 6:00, so I'm hoping to be at Ripken by 7:15

-Bill
p.s. oh, yeah....I hope to post pics later tonight
Yeah it was easier to go with smaller tires or jack the rear up in our case for the time being (it'll be low low low as of next season since we can't budget for the lowering into the challenge). Hope everybody has a safe trip. The meet monster has already struck. My XT had a wiring issue that I located today so I'll make the first 1/2 hour of the trip without lowbeams. That means everybody should be good to go then.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Yeah it was easier to go with smaller tires or jack the rear up in our case for the time being (it'll be low low low as of next season since we can't budget for the lowering into the challenge). Hope everybody has a safe trip. The meet monster has already struck. My XT had a wiring issue that I located today so I'll make the first 1/2 hour of the trip without lowbeams. That means everybody should be good to go then.

Ben,
Well, got the car up on the trailer before the rains came, but not before first "dinging" the exhaust system on our first attempt to get on the trailer
"Battlestar" will be giving the RaceCar a run for its money on the "loud" front
-Bill

My Locker
Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
There better be some pictures up by tomarrow people. I'm getting board out here in the middle of the north atlantic. Right now we're towing a disable fishing boat in closer to sure so a smaller boat can take it the rest of the way in. We started the tow last night and should be handing it off sometime in the morning. So far I've watched Season 1 & 2 of That 70's show, and 1-3 of Alias. I've, also, conpletely reorganized the 2000 songs on my Ipod. I'm now partly through Season 4 of Alias, then I get to start on CSI. I almost wish something electronic would break so I can work on it.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
There better be some pictures up by tomarrow people. I'm getting board out here in the middle of the north atlantic. Right now we're towing a disable fishing boat in closer to sure so a smaller boat can take it the rest of the way in. We started the tow last night and should be handing it off sometime in the morning. So far I've watched Season 1 & 2 of That 70's show, and 1-3 of Alias. I've, also, conpletely reorganized the 2000 songs on my Ipod. I'm now partly through Season 4 of Alias, then I get to start on CSI. I almost wish something electronic would break so I can work on it.

Pics of what Billstock 3 zillion loosing yet again to a "real racer"? JK. I'm sure someone's pics (saw like 3 cameras I think) will soon appear. You missed quite a wet day for all but the 4th heaters. You're FWDer wouldn't have liked it there much as I needed to stay in 3rd to keep my tires from spinning on the XT. Not good for times!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Pics of what Billstock 3 zillion loosing yet again to a "real racer"? JK. I'm sure someone's pics (saw like 3 cameras I think) will soon appear. You missed quite a wet day for all but the 4th heaters. You're FWDer wouldn't have liked it there much as I needed to stay in 3rd to keep my tires from spinning on the XT. Not good for times!
Nice post, "Anomaly Boy"
-Bill
p.s. hey, I had the RaceCar beat for all of what, 45 seconds?
p.p.s It was great to see everyone again. I think the SVX was extremely well represented! Kudo to Young Tom, Harry, and Ben for driving in the rain!

My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 09-16-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Even though I already have it in my signature, I'll take this opportunity to announce that I beat Bill and drove the...
Fastest SVX at the 2006 Mid-Atlantic Subaru Challenge

Oh yeah, I posted in the "photo" thread. There may be some tech problems getting the photos???? Hopefully I'll be able to post them tomorrow...

Last edited by Hocrest; 09-17-2006 at 08:34 AM.