Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I started on the next manifold today.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Just some dude.

Oh, and as you can see in one of the pictures, now that the position of the blower is finalized I was able to get away with grinding a little bit off of the ac bracket instead of milling it.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Just some dude.

profanity profanity profanity profanity profanity......ok, I'm calm now. I was trying to get the system I'm working now installed on my car this weekend and taking it to bradenton for the 1/4 mile there this thursday but the welding suply place gave me a bad tank of "argon." I call it "argon" with quotes because while there was some argon in it there was plenty of air in it too. My electrode wouldn't even stay clean. That means no more welding this weekend. I wasted a lot of time trying to weld the idle air bypass manifold with it today too.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
that sucks. I know what it is like to run out of argon while in the middle of a project. Keep with it Mike

Tom
Old 04-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
damn inert gas!!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-09-2006, 03:17 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
damn inert gas!!
-Bill

just because their noble
Old 04-12-2006, 04:47 AM
lifessamsara

Supercharger applications

Hi all,

Im new to this forum and have just spent the last hour or more reading thru this thread. I am impressed with the development path this system has taken, and it's great to see how well it has come along.
My interest in this site was investigating how available SVX engines are in the US (as there aren't that many around in Australia). When I saw this post it clicked my interest as Im researching the application of the Subbie 3.3ltr engine in light aircraft use. If you're not already aware, the increased air that the SC delivers means that they have seen many an application in aircraft for use at altitude to maintain power.
How would this SC system work in delivering reliable and economical power at altitude on a 3.3 engine?
The Aussie $ is somewhat weaker than the US $, so the obvious question is how much the system costs?
I look forward to following your thread further,
Cheers,
Bruce.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
According to xe.com, at today's exchange rate, the ECUtune / Whipple supercharger system used costs $8,548 Australian dollars, but that does not include shipping or the EG33.

Obviously, you may not require all the pieces if you plan to use this engine in an aircraft, so the parts costs may be less. Head on over to ecutune.com (under SVX Stage III) for more information on the kit, and its parts. It will take some time to put together, as it's still in the prototyping phase. As such, it seems there are still a few bugs to work out of the system.

All we ask is that you don't pull the engine from an otherwise good SVX; please, please, please, pull one from a write-off, junker, roll-over, or whatever. We're trying to save as many of them as we can.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Just some dude.

I got a good tank of argon for the weekend today.
I made the fuel lines for all of the 1st run.
I have all the pulleys and idlers done for the system going on my car this weekend.
And I have the throttle body adaptor surfaced and drilled for the supercharger bypass valve to mount to.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Just some dude.

I got the IAC manifold fabricated and the plumbing for the supercharger bypass valve added to the intake manifold. I also got a 1/2 inch socket head to plug the T where the pcv used to conned...ah the little victories. Now all I have to do before installing it onto my car is the silver powder coat.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Mike,
Nice! Looking forward to hearing about how it runs on your car!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Mike are you keeping the EGR value?
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:05 AM
Just some dude.

I have the install done minus one hose clamp I didn't have. Tomorrow I just need to get and install that hose clamp and then install the grupe n motor mounts to lower the engine.

The EGR is still connected so that it doesn't throw a check engine light but it doesn't go anywhere. It is welded closed a few inches into the manifold. If you look back to photos where I welded the bottoms into the manifold halves you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:04 AM
6MT STi-ified, now with R180!

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis Destiny Send a message via MSN to Nemesis Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname
I have the install done minus one hose clamp I didn't have. Tomorrow I just need to get and install that hose clamp and then install the grupe n motor mounts to lower the engine.

The EGR is still connected so that it doesn't throw a check engine light but it doesn't go anywhere. It is welded closed a few inches into the manifold. If you look back to photos where I welded the bottoms into the manifold halves you can see what I'm talking about.
Wouldn't that be kind of bad for emissions? I know it wouldn't be as bad as going catless, but it still isn't exactly good.

I know the whole point of doing this is for balls-to-the-wall performance, but a lot of people might be put off from doing this if they can't pass an emissions test. Just food for thought. I don't know what the e-test regulations are in other places, but here, my last one on my 92s will be due in 2013. Does every state that does mandatory e-testing have a cutoff date? If not, then it could clamp down considerably on sales.
1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver w/ Black, 110k mi. "Alice." Rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 17x8" Motegi LC-12 (16.5lbs), PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT + R180, Koni + Ground Control (325f/280r), Earthworm Bushings. Awaiting resto.
1994 LSI The legendary "Shotgun Slade" 110k mi and still going strong!

2005 Outback XT Limited 5MT, Obsidian Black Pearl, 211k km, daily driver.
1999 Mazda MX5 base 5MT, Twilight Blue Metallic, 152k km. "Twilight Sparkle" Summer daily driver!
2007 Honda CR-V, some awful shade of light green *yawn*

1992 LS-L Touring, Ebony Mica, 176k kms. Parts car. SCRAPPED.
1992 LS-L, Dark Teal, 367k km. "Wintergreen" the winter beater.*SCRAPPED due to rust*
Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
In Alaska you will not pass if your manifold or air box is visibly modified.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.