Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2006, 10:09 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm not sure what you would be looking to accomplish by doing yours differently than what we already know works. Maybe you should call me or pm me and discuss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
We have our moments Think you could email me the template for the Whipple outlet so I could fabricate and weld a mounting plate on the top of one of my spare intakes? We should chat about what the balance of the custom pieces you've fabricated would run....

-Bill
Old 04-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
he just wants a reason to cut apart his fiberglass hood and look like all the old hot-rod cars with a giant scoop. Mike can you PM me the dyno plots from the old stage 2? I noticed you had taken them down

Tom
Old 04-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Just some dude.

I'm going to have to pull the supercharger off my car in order to use it in finishing the rest of the manifolds without waiting for the next shipment of superchargers. With that in mind, now that I have the preliminary dyno results in and seemingly plenty of customers willing to get the final dyno results on their cars I've decided to stop putting off the driveline swap. I'll have the engine built, the 3.9 transmission delivered, and the r180 rear delivered while I'm finishing the manifolds. Then I can install the supercharger system and the transmission onto the engine and drop it in as a unit, slap new axles in and be done and oil leak free.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Maniac modifier

good luck. If you need anything feel free to ring me up. BTW be careful doing the engine trans as one unit. It is a long bulky thing to manuver. Being able to adjust the angle of the unit is key.

Tom
Old 04-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Just some dude.

Thanks,

I have a ballancing bar on the engine hoist for adjusting the angle. I imagine I will probably drop the subframe off while I'm at it which should make the job MUCH easier. Then I can replace the power steering unit and bring the subframe back up after the engine/transmission assembly is in place. I will also bring my business partner in on the project and make him work for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX
good luck. If you need anything feel free to ring me up. BTW be careful doing the engine trans as one unit. It is a long bulky thing to manuver. Being able to adjust the angle of the unit is key.

Tom
Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Maniac modifier

HAHA good plan, hope all goes well for you guys

Tom
Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
@$^&%$##% Stupid Coils!!!!

The plan was for me to be at the Strip right now doing a few 1/4 mile runs. However the SVX who hows now earned the name Damian has other plans. LAN overnighted me the updated software on Friday. Saturday at 3PM the car was together and running. It was "OH My God" fast. I caught up with my folks at a local hotrod show. (ran into another SVX owner). We hung out awhile, then went to dinner. On the way home I decided to run the RPMs up a little (6300 in 3rd). When I went to shift into 4th something didnt sound quite right. I stopped and listened to the engine for a second and there it was. The distinct sound of a miss. I limp the rest of the way home and test the engine (disconnect injectors) and determine the front driverside cylinder is the one missing. It's late I mange to get to the parts store and get a compression tester but wait to test pressure until the morning. Luckly the cylinder appears to be ok. It appears I fried another coil. Tom if your keeping count that makes 3. So I have to order another one and wait a week. Maybe next Sunday. Sorry LAN, I know I promised to get some passes if you got the software to me in time.

Wow that was long winded.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Mikecg, quick question for ya...

Assuming that your engine is fine with close to equal compression across all cylinders, what kind of spark plugs are you using and how recently were they changed?

If you aren't using a step colder plug than stock, I'd highly recommend that you pick up six NGK iridium BKR7EIX and change your plugs this week as well as the damaged coil pack.

I know for a fact that both PhastSVX and svxfiles are using these plugs in their forced induction SVXs.

-Chike

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-30-2006, 04:17 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
The plan was for me to be at the Strip right now doing a few 1/4 mile runs. However the SVX who hows now earned the name Damian has other plans. LAN overnighted me the updated software on Friday. Saturday at 3PM the car was together and running. It was "OH My God" fast. I caught up with my folks at a local hotrod show. (ran into another SVX owner). We hung out awhile, then went to dinner. On the way home I decided to run the RPMs up a little (6300 in 3rd). When I went to shift into 4th something didnt sound quite right. I stopped and listened to the engine for a second and there it was. The distinct sound of a miss. I limp the rest of the way home and test the engine (disconnect injectors) and determine the front driverside cylinder is the one missing. It's late I mange to get to the parts store and get a compression tester but wait to test pressure until the morning. Luckly the cylinder appears to be ok. It appears I fried another coil. Tom if your keeping count that makes 3. So I have to order another one and wait a week. Maybe next Sunday. Sorry LAN, I know I promised to get some passes if you got the software to me in time.

i feel you on the coils. all of mine have exposed wires where the low tension line runs into the coil. were do we get new ones?
Old 04-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Just some dude.

If someone has a cheap source for new coils I'd be interested to hear about it. I would like to put all new coils on my new engine and as far as I know the 1st subaru parts is the cheapest place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewmongan
i feel you on the coils. all of mine have exposed wires where the low tension line runs into the coil. were do we get new ones?
Old 04-30-2006, 05:47 PM
MINEZ BETTER

need supercharger. so curious how its gonna run with my motor, after cars been sitting in my garage for 1.5 years. project car
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 04-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvxstyle
need supercharger. so curious how its gonna run with my motor, after cars been sitting in my garage for 1.5 years. project car
Damn man. Didn't think you were still around. Ever run your n/a SVX with those performance cams at the drag strip? Worked on any nice Porsches recently?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Maniac modifier

I never bought them used. I usually had a couple engine laying around to strip the coils from. Sorry to hear it mike and BTW, you went through 3 coils here. So thats working on 4 now...

Tom
Old 04-30-2006, 08:52 PM
MINEZ BETTER

yep, im still around, and nope never ran my second set of supercharger cam, with mike charger yet. car been chillin at home for 1.5 years, since motor was installed. had to take out my standalone system out for ecutune set-up. been to bizzy on 2 shops and dealer night visit for mercedes techencial problems
white leathers, h.i.d, ecutune S/C stage 4, 14 inch 2piece rotors big brake kit., , msd ignition, c/f dash kit, front spoiler,carbon fiber jdm rearc wing,19 inch rims, nos, , aem fuel regulater, koni-gc package, ported cylinder heads, supercharger cams,solid buck and shims,wrx sti intake valve and exhaust valves,& valve springs, gas analizer,water injection, exhaust temp gauge, idiglo gauges, shift kit, , remote start, all automatic windows,2.5 inch true dual exhaust system with crossover, and 2 borla stainless steal muffler,air filter velocity air stack 3inch to 6 for air filtre, group n mounts, momo steering wheel, dyno will happan soon
Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg

I don't think the coils are a problem, as much as the boost pressure and the plug gap. 7 psi increases the resistance at the plug gap by 50 %, so the coils voltage has to increase by 50% to ionise and jump the plug gap. The coils can produce these sort of voltages, enough to short down the side of the plug, or blast a hole through the coils internal insulation.

Don't know what your plugs are gaped at, but I would drop the gap down from the std 1mm/40", to about 0.62mm/25". This will reduce the voltage that the coil has to produce, to fire the plug.

This problem can also cause the plugs to misfire at high rpms and boost, to show a rich air/fuel ratio on a O2 gauge, that may be confused as a fuel problem. It is not always easy to pick a random misfire at high rpms.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.