Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 09:27 PM

We Need To Clean House...

This is guarenteed to piss you off...

Political Scandals Refuse To Go Away in 'Corrupticut'
Officials' Wrongdoing Persists After Governor's 2005 Conviction

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 3, 2006; Page A03

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- There was the mayor who liked to be plied with $100-plus bottles of Bordeaux. The governor who took a free hot tub. The state senator who was given a job that paid $30,000 for doing nothing -- and then demanded a raise.

The past few years have revealed so many tales of graft, malfeasance and all-purpose criminality by public servants in Connecticut that it's hard to choose the most brazen. But for Kevin J. O'Connor, the U.S. attorney here, one moment stands out.
Mayor John M. Fabrizi wipes away tears, with his wife, Mary, by his side, at Bridgeport City Hall. Fabrizi admitted on June 20 to using cocaine while in office but said he had been clean for 18 months. He did not offer to resign.

It came in June 2004, while then-Gov. John G. Rowland (R) -- he of the hot tub -- was facing impeachment in the legislature for improperly taking gifts. Even in that fraught time, O'Connor said, federal agents recorded state Sen. Ernest E. Newton II (D) -- he of the no-show job -- asking someone for a bribe.

"I thought to myself, you know, 'What are these people thinking?' " O'Connor said.

I know what they were thinking, "Free stuff! And nobody will find out!"
Vote the corrupt bastards out!
WGJ
Full story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...referrer=email

Last edited by WGJ; 07-03-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:55 PM

More Good News...

A Driven President Faces a World of Crises

By Michael Abramowitz and Robin Wright
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, July 6, 2006; Page A01

From deteriorating security in Afghanistan and Somalia to mayhem in the Middle East, confrontation with Iran and eroding relations with Russia, the White House suddenly sees crisis in every direction.

North Korea's long-range missile test Tuesday, although unsuccessful, was another reminder of the bleak foreign policy landscape that faces President Bush even outside of Iraq. Few foreign policy experts foresee the reclusive Stalinist state giving up the nuclear weapons it appears to have acquired, making it another in a long list of world problems that threaten to cloud the closing years of the Bush administration, according to foreign policy experts in both parties.
In Seoul, passengers on a subway train watch TV screens broadcasting North Korea's test launches. (By Ahn Young-joon -- Associated Press)

"I am hard-pressed to think of any other moment in modern times where there have been so many challenges facing this country simultaneously," said Richard N. Haass, a former senior Bush administration official who heads the Council on Foreign Relations. "The danger is that Mr. Bush will hand over a White House to a successor that will face a far messier world, with far fewer resources left to cope with it."
Old 07-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ

"I am hard-pressed to think of any other moment in modern times where there have been so many challenges facing this country simultaneously," said Richard N. Haass, a former senior Bush administration official who heads the Council on Foreign Relations. "The danger is that Mr. Bush will hand over a White House to a successor that will face a far messier world, with far fewer resources left to cope with it."
Reminds me of exactly what Bush Senior left Clinton. A financial mess. The next guy will have just enough time to fix it before another Bush comes in and screws it all up again.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 07-07-2006, 09:21 PM

Screwing The Lower Income Workers...

Here some of the stuff those evil bastards, Clinton amd Kennedy are up to:

Minimum Wage: No Justificaion For Screwing The American Worker (excerpts), Bob Herbert
...The federal minimum wage, currently $5.15 an hour, was last raised in 1997. Since then, its purchasing power has deteriorated by 20 percent. Analysts at the Economic Policy Institute and the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities jointly crunched the numbers and determined that, after adjusting for inflation, the value of the minimum wage is at its lowest level since 1955....If you're making the minimum wage, you're hurting. If Congress and the president don't raise the minimum wage by Dec. 2, it will have remained unchanged for the longest stretch since it was established in 1938. (The longest period previously was from January 1981 to April 1990 — a span that saw the entire Reagan administration come and go.)
Senate Republicans recently blocked a Democratic bill, sponsored by Senator Edward Kennedy, that would have raised the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour over the next two years. Jared Bernstein, a senior economist at the Economic Policy Institute, noted that while Republicans in Congress are standing like a stone wall against this modest increase in the poverty-level wage, "they are working as hard as they can to repeal the estate tax." "That," he said, "is just vicious class warfare." The most important pay increases for most members of Congress are their own, and they are diligent in that regard. Senator Clinton, in a floor speech supporting the minimum-wage hike, said, "During the past nine years, we've raised our own pay by $31,600."
Mrs. Clinton has introduced a bill that, in addition to raising the minimum wage to $7.25, would link Congressional pay raises to hikes in the minimum wage. Under the bill, the minimum wage would be increased automatically by the same percentage as any increase in Congressional pay. Polls have shown that Americans overwhelmingly favor an increase in the minimum wage. But the low-income workers who would benefit from such an increase are not part of the natural G.O.P. constituency. Thus, the stonewall. A separate study by the Economic Policy Institute found that in 2005, with the pay of top corporate executives up sharply, and with the minimum wage falling further and further behind inflation, "an average chief executive officer was paid 821 times as much as a minimum wage earner." That C.E.O., according to the study, "earns more before lunchtime on the very first day of work in the year than a minimum wage worker earns all year."
"The reality," said Senator Clinton, "is that a full time job that pays the minimum wage just doesn't provide enough money to support a family today. We have to acknowledge that fact and do something about it. As a country, we cannot accept that a single mother with two children who works 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year earns $10,700 a year — let me say this again: $10,700 a year. That is almost $6,000 below the federal poverty line for a family of three." During the 1950's and 60's, the minimum wage was roughly 50 percent of the average wage of nonsupervisory workers. It has now fallen to 31 percent — less than a third — of that average.
As the Economic Policy Institute and the Center on Budget pointed out in their study: "Each year that Congress fails to raise the wage floor, its purchasing power erodes. The fact that the minimum wage has remained the same for nearly nine years means that its real value has declined considerably over that period. As inflation has accelerated recently due to higher energy costs, the real value of the minimum wage has fallen faster." There is no justification — none — for condemning the nation's lowest-paid workers to this continuing slide into ever deeper economic distress. "No one who works for a living should have to live in poverty," said Senator Kennedy....

WGJ

Last edited by WGJ; 07-07-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
WGJ, I understand your desire to post about all the stupid things Bush has said/done, but I don't think it's necessary to post radnom stuff in every single thread in the political forum. This thread was about who you would choose as president, and while you're not the only hijacker, you're definately the biggest offender.

I think you should just take the new reasons to hate bush everyday thread and make that your *****, because you really could provide a new thing everyday, and it would be totally on topic.

So to get back on topic...

VOTE FOR ME!

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 PM

Are You Announcing You Are A Candidate?

SubaSteevo

VOTE FOR ME!

Can you confirm the rumors that you may run?
WGJ

You're right, I'll try to stay on track but there so many stupid things Dubya has done...and so few threads.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
So to get back on topic...

VOTE FOR ME!
Ain't going to happen. Everyone is aware of you using cute little puppies in sweat shops, and your hobby of collecting Barbie dolls, then biting the heads off of them.

The Congressional bills you've authored are also questionable. For example, that so called energy bill where we all have to drive those little kiwani parade cars.

And sneaking a rider in on a elementary school lunch bill that authorizes oil drilling via nuclear weapon explosions. I almost bought in on that one until I noticed it wasn't Alaska you were talking about but Houston!

And this slander campaign you got going using the SwiftSkateBoard Veterans..... I just have concerns with your ethics.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.

Old 07-08-2006, 02:14 AM

Vote for me, and I promise to hunt down SlonSVX and put him in Gitmo!

Old 07-08-2006, 08:20 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
Ain't going to happen. Everyone is aware of you using cute little puppies in sweat shops, and your hobby of collecting Barbie dolls, then biting the heads off of them.

The Congressional bills you've authored are also questionable. For example, that so called energy bill where we all have to drive those little kiwani parade cars.

And sneaking a rider in on a elementary school lunch bill that authorizes oil drilling via nuclear weapon explosions. I almost bought in on that one until I noticed it wasn't Alaska you were talking about but Houston!

And this slander campaign you got going using the SwiftSkateBoard Veterans..... I just have concerns with your ethics.
Hey, come on, do we really need Houston anyway?

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Hey, come on, do we really need Houston anyway?
Wow.... That's a really good point!

I'll officially announce today that I'm dropping from the race and supporting you.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:50 AM

I would like to officially announce that I am dropping from the Presidential race.

At this time, I will be backing the candidacy of SubaSteevo for President. I fully feel he has what it takes.

Houston has become a menace, and there is strong evidence they harbor weapons of mass destruction. We know where they are. They are in the areas south, southeast, and east of the central province.

SubaSteevo is our only hope of finding these evil weapons, and stopping the slow and evil cancer known as Houston enveloping our country.

VOTE SUBASTEEVO!

Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophil
I would like to officially announce that I am dropping from the Presidential race.

At this time, I will be backing the candidacy of SubaSteevo for President. I fully feel he has what it takes.

Houston has become a menace, and there is strong evidence they harbor weapons of mass destruction. We know where they are. They are in the areas south, southeast, and east of the central province.

SubaSteevo is our only hope of finding these evil weapons, and stopping the slow and evil cancer known as Houston enveloping our country.

VOTE SUBASTEEVO!

I have just received photographic evidence from my director of stupidity, I believe the picture will speak for itself. Something must be done about Houston!

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-08-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I have just received photographic evidence from my director of stupidity, I believe the picture will speak for itself. Something must be done about Houston!

That made me burst out in laughter. As the Cable Guy says "I don't care who you are.. That's funny!!"

Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM

If You Really Want To Mess With Houston...

make them enact zoning laws!
WGJ
Old 07-09-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGJ
This is guarenteed to piss you off...

Political Scandals Refuse To Go Away in 'Corrupticut'
Officials' Wrongdoing Persists After Governor's 2005 Conviction

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 3, 2006; Page A03

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- There was the mayor who liked to be plied with $100-plus bottles of Bordeaux. The governor who took a free hot tub. The state senator who was given a job that paid $30,000 for doing nothing -- and then demanded a raise.

The past few years have revealed so many tales of graft, malfeasance and all-purpose criminality by public servants in Connecticut that it's hard to choose the most brazen. But for Kevin J. O'Connor, the U.S. attorney here, one moment stands out.
Mayor John M. Fabrizi wipes away tears, with his wife, Mary, by his side, at Bridgeport City Hall. Fabrizi admitted on June 20 to using cocaine while in office but said he had been clean for 18 months. He did not offer to resign.

It came in June 2004, while then-Gov. John G. Rowland (R) -- he of the hot tub -- was facing impeachment in the legislature for improperly taking gifts. Even in that fraught time, O'Connor said, federal agents recorded state Sen. Ernest E. Newton II (D) -- he of the no-show job -- asking someone for a bribe.

"I thought to myself, you know, 'What are these people thinking?' " O'Connor said.

I know what they were thinking, "Free stuff! And nobody will find out!"
Vote the corrupt bastards out!
WGJ
Full story:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...referrer=email
So this is a smorgasborg of both Deomocrat and Republican white trailer trash noloads? An equal opportunity department in the bipartisan committees?
I'm just noticing a lot more democratic deviants lately and that scares me. I'm runnin out of candidates that I have any warm and fuzzies with.