Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
sputnik

exhaust idea

searching back i read a lot about the flowmaster 80 in an otherwise stock exhaust system. what i couldnt find, however, is if anyone has tried the flowmaster as well as removing the resonator and replacing with a straight pipe (my resonator rattles wicked at 2k rpm). i want it to sound good, but not really loud, so i was hoping somebody has this setup and can offer me some more info, or maybe a sound clip, or maybe a reason why it would be a bad idea. also if someone could include the part number or dimensions of the 80's series best suited for the svx.
any feedback is greatly appreciated.

sputnik

Last edited by sputnik; 09-08-2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I have a flowmaster 8o with resonator removed and the kittens are dead too. I tried it with open pipes to the flowmaster with no resonator and it was extremely loud.
I added a glasspack where the resonator was and it quieted it down to a reasonable level.
Sound clip in my locker.

Here's a site with dimensions. I got the 2.5" single in dual out
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/flomstr1f.htm
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:07 PM
FearWhat

Hi Performance Magnaflow Performance Muffler
(stainless version optional)
Hi Flow 2.5" cat convertor
Hi Flow 18" long resonator
Polished Stainless tips.

from the http://store.yahoo.com/svx-motorspor.../cusexkit.html Sounds great. i heard a great sound clip from that as well. So i would guess its just preferance.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:34 PM
*Special* Member

Send a message via AIM to Bwana
I have 2 50-series Flowmasters w/ the resonator straight-piped. I'll look in to getting a sound clip as soon as i get my car back. HOPEFULLY THURSDAY, WHOOT.
1996 Brilliant Red L (AWD). Bought: 6-14-04 - Sold: 3-3-07 - 15.370 @ 89.65
1992 Claret/black LS #4086 (GF's). Bought: 6-30-04 - Sold: 7-29-07
1994 Pearl White LSi Bought: 2001? Sold: 2004?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I have a flowmaster 8o with resonator removed and the kittens are dead too. I tried it with open pipes to the flowmaster with no resonator and it was extremely loud.
I added a glasspack where the resonator was and it quieted it down to a reasonable level.
Sound clip in my locker.

Here's a site with dimensions. I got the 2.5" single in dual out
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/flomstr1f.htm
That sound is incredible, Immortal! I suppose there are no emmisions inspections where you live. I wonder who has removed their cats and still passes emissions. I have done this with other cars I owned and they passed without problems. I always heard that a properly tuned and maintained vehicle does not need the cats to pass the emissions tests and that they are there because most people do not keep their cars properly tuned and maintained. Anyone know if this is true of the SVX? As cars get newer the emmisions standards are more stringent. Older cars can pass without cats since they are not held to the same standards as newer cars.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by immortal_suby
and the kittens are dead too.
you killing kittens these days Matt?

Todd

BTW- Matt's car does sound good, though it can exhibit a bit of a drone on long road trips from what I hear.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:38 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Ya know that everytime ya Masterbate, God kills a kitten.... ... Matt did ya kill all three kittens???

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 09-09-2003, 11:48 AM
JLittell

...or a litter!!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:49 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: exhaust idea

Quote:
Originally posted by sputnik
searching back i read a lot about the flowmaster 80 in an otherwise stock exhaust system. what i couldnt find, however, is if anyone has tried the flowmaster as well as removing the resonator and replacing with a straight pipe (my resonator rattles wicked at 2k rpm). ... , or maybe a reason why it would be a bad idea. ... any feedback is greatly appreciated.

sputnik
I've read on numerous occasions that the resonator in the center pipe not only serves as a muffler but also as an expansion chamber to add low rpm torque/power.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
part number

I dont know the part number for my flowmaster 80, but I do know its the same as the one used for the Z-28 Camaro.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by wawazat??

you killing kittens these days Matt?

Todd

BTW- Matt's car does sound good, though it can exhibit a bit of a drone on long road trips from what I hear.
Well, the new FHM came in the other day and Jenny McCarthy was on the cover and she died her hair back to blonde, and you know I'm a sucker for blondes.....

As for the drone - I have no idea who would have said it drones on the highway
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 09-09-2003, 04:48 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: exhaust idea

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I've read on numerous occasions that the resonator in the center pipe not only serves as a muffler but also as an expansion chamber to add low rpm torque/power.
Yes - I do believe I lost some low end torque with the removal of the resonator but gained in the top end. This is figured through my calibrated rear end along with multiple races vs. the wife - she takes me off the line and I catch up and pass in 2nd gear.

Not exactly the desired results on a heavy tall geared car. As soon as I learn how to use this welder I'm planning on adding a second glasspack or maybe just a larger single glasspack in there.
Old 09-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
That sound is incredible, Immortal! I suppose there are no emmisions inspections where you live. I wonder who has removed their cats and still passes emissions. I have done this with other cars I owned and they passed without problems. I always heard that a properly tuned and maintained vehicle does not need the cats to pass the emissions tests and that they are there because most people do not keep their cars properly tuned and maintained. Anyone know if this is true of the SVX? As cars get newer the emmisions standards are more stringent. Older cars can pass without cats since they are not held to the same standards as newer cars.
No emissions or inspections in SC but I have also heard of an svx passing with no cats.